Sunday 11 January 2009

Agoraphobia And Driving Phobia

Unfortunately, agoraphobia/driving phobia seems to be on the increase, among both men and women. On motorways in particular, nervous feelings begin to build up when surrounded by heavy trucks belting along, spraying smaller cars with water, mud and dust. It might be ten miles to the next turn-off, time to let anxiety build up until the driver finds the tension unbearable. He cannot stop, and feels as though he is whirling into space and there is no escape.

Ken: Driving along the motorway at around sixty miles an hour, I thought I must have been in an accident and died, the sensation was so weird and 'out of this world'. After the first flash of fear I managed to drive on to the hard shoulder and pull up. By that time I was shaking violently, sweat was pouring from me and I felt as though a great weight was pressing on me, stopping me from breathing. It was no accident, I realised, but by then I was convinced I was having a heart attack. There was no way I could get out of the car to get help; I just sat there trying to make sense out of the totally unreal feelings. After some five minutes things began to get back to normal and I nervously started the car, creeping along cautiously, hoping I would reach the next exit safely. Once off the motorway I felt slightly better and eventually got home.

Unfortunately this has happened a couple of times since. I am a professional man in my forties and consider myself pretty well-balanced. These episodes have shaken me badly; I now wait for the next attack to hit me and am beginning to feel that somehow I am going to have to avoid motorways altogether.



If You Want Immediate Anxiety Relief, Check Out Our New Natural Technique To Stop Panic Attacks and General Anxiety Fast!

No comments:

Panic Attack 520