Wednesday 10 December 2008

Why We Cannot Take Action when Wanting to Cure Depression

It's time to take action. It's easy to put it off when we are depressed. But we must urge ourselves to move forward. We must find the courage to challenge what is holding us back. If we have done the work thoroughly, we will be ready, because we will have moved out of isolation and the 'stuck-ness' that depression fills us with.

If we can't make the move yet, we must examine our fears. We can work through the 'First Step First' plan again and take our time in simply shifting ourselves one step at a time.

WHAT IF WE CAN'T TAKE ACTION?

If we can't take action, or can't be bothered to take action, we have to look at why not. There are several reasons why this is and they are as follows.

'It's not that bad'

We have read the book and weighed up the ideas and decided that our depression is not that bad and these ideas are for someone else. If we are at this point, we are not really suffering. Or we are too afraid to do what we know is necessary to conquer it. If this is the case, we need to comfort our child and form a plan that makes the necessary action challenging but manageable. We must step back until we are prepared.

We want a 'quick fix'

We want immediate relief and these ideas are too long and cumbersome. Depending on how long we have been depressed, we may find that we have tried quick fixes and they simply haven't worked. The most common fix I use is to tell myself that I'm overreacting when it comes to responding to another person in a way that feels horrible inside. I don't want to have to look at why I feel like that; I don't want to have to take responsibility for myself; I don't want to have to say something to someone in order to set my limits and tell them what I need. It's hard work, so the fix is to tell myself that I've got it wrong and they are acting OK. The trouble is, I compromise myself by avoiding the nitty-gritty of communicating with someone else. It's hard work for me and I don't find it easy. So I say nothing and 'grin and bear' it. This works for a short time, then I find myself becoming irritated with them and wanting to be sarcastic or shaming. I must then swallow those utterances if we are to remain friends. In turn I swallow the problem, and I feel bad about myself and eventually get depressed.



If You Want Immediate Anxiety Relief, Check Out Our New Natural Technique To Stop Panic Attacks and General Anxiety Fast!

No comments:

Panic Attack 520