Tuesday 13 January 2009

PAX newsletters

PAX newsletters are full of enthusiastic reports from recovering members.
Penny (thirty): I was never completely housebound but was heading that way. My GP prescribed Seroxat, and although it took several weeks before I noticed any effect it has been extremely helpful. I was told by my GP that I also needed to see a cognitive behavioural therapist as I could not rely on drugs for ever and must learn how to manage panic attacks if they returned. I found this a rather depressing outlook. Eventually I did see a behaviourist, by which time my GP had weaned me off Seroxat, encouraging me to try and do without it.

Unfortunately the panic attacks returned. It had been so easy to live a normal, panic-free life and I rather resented finding myself back to square one. I had to learn to tolerate the panics - though it took several attempts to get through the first occasions when I had to stand outside the super¬market. I didn't know it at the time, but my husband was hovering about, out of my sight. He wasn't convinced that wasn't going to react badly, collapse or burst into tears. The therapist wasn't too pleased when he found out and Richard was told quite firmly that he was to keep right way and let me work towards recovery on my own, without im fussing around me.

I realised how much I had depended on Richard's support in the past, but it was pointed out to both of us that his attitude was holding me back.

After four months I can now shop in the supermarket on my own. I still dread the panic attacks but am learning to tolerate them. My next step is a train journey - alone. I would feel happier if the trains were more reliable, as they are inclined to stop sometimes for fifteen minutes between stations. If this happens I shall look on this as an oppor¬tunity to put into practice all I have been taught about going through panic.

Many people have written to me who are having professional help and making progress with their recovery, and remind me about the late Dr Claire Weekes. In the 1960s her books helped thousands, and her advice is as appropriate today as it was forty years ago when Self Help for Your Nerves was the most requested book in libraries all over the world.

William wrote to the PAX newsletter:
I am a man of thirty-one and a recovered agoraphobic (note 'recovered', not 'recovering'). I have had six months of treatment - behavioural therapy at my local hospital - and I am for ever grateful to those who have helped me tackle my fears and overcome them.
I also attribute much of my present happy state to Claire Weekes, the Australian doctor whose books helped me through the worst time in my life when suffering constant panic attacks. I had to be persuaded by my mother to look at these books - I thought they were just for neurotic women.

Dr Weekes teaches four concepts of fear:
Face fear - do not run away.
Accept fear - do not fight it.
Float through fear - do not run away.
Let time pass - do not be impatient.

I would urge fellow PAX members to read Self Help for Your Nerves.



If You Want Immediate Anxiety Relief, Check Out Our New Natural Technique To Stop Panic Attacks and General Anxiety Fast!

No comments:

Panic Attack 520